[En-Nut-Discussion] Which is the latest greatest branch

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Sat Oct 29 12:14:06 CEST 2011

Hi Ulrich,

In contrast to the Linux project, I do not want to be the guy who
incarnates the final authority. The advantage of a small project like
Nut/OS is, that it is able to cope with democracy. ;-)

On 28.10.2011 23:19, Ulrich Prinz wrote:
> On 28.10.2011 06:19, Henrik Maier wrote:
>> arch/arm                  [generic ARM stuff like context.c]
>> arch/arm/at91       [stuff for all AT91 devices]
>> arch/arm/at91/sam9  [specific to this series]
>> arch/arm/at91/sam7

I'm still not convinced, that this is the best long term solution. But I
see the point and try to be realistic. My priority is, to reduce porting
effort and maintenance to a minimum number of files for all platforms.
On the other hand, Nut/OS is mainly driven by developers, who need a
working solution for a specific product. These developers, including me,
are always under deadline pressure. They simply do not have the time to
adapt a solution to all platforms.

So, finally yes, let's move forward in the direction that Henrik proposed.

=== OFF TOPIC ===

Nevertheless, I stumbled over one inconsistency.

> I agree, that we should look at those who did that job for a long time
> now before we try to develop something on our own. And yes, the linux
> structures look pretty fine to me.

Just the fact that Linux uses it, seems to sanctify everything these
days. But wait....

> ATMEL works with absolute register addresses while Cortex (and the whole
> rest of the world) works with pointers to struct that represents a set
> of registers.

Now what? As far as I know, Linux doesn't use structure pointers to
access registers.

Btw., your statement about Atmel isn't fully correct. For specific
reasons, avr-libc, not Atmel, uses absolute addresses. Atmel started to
use structure pointers, when introducing the first ARM cores. Nut/OS for
ARM, not Atmel, continued to use preprocessor macros for the AT91 family.

Don't get me wrong, I understand, that both versions have their pros and
cons. I just wanted to correct the Atmel vs. whole world conclusion.