[En-Nut-Discussion] [ethernut1.3f] NutOs hangs up when registering DEV_ETHER device.

Mateusz Szubart mszubart at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 20:31:05 CEST 2011

Hello everybody! It's my first post on this list, so I want to introduce myself.
I'm Mathew Szubart and I work as a automatics programmer in one of
Polish companies.

Let's back to my problem.
First I want you to know that I tried with NutOS 4.8.9, 4.9.10 and
4.10 - all with the same effect.
My hardware is an evaluation board fully compatibile with Ethernut
1.3f, with atmega 128
Network device is RTL8019AS, using INT6 interrupt.
INT6 because I need OCR3x as a PWM outputs.
I have tested my program for a while with good results, but I needed
modbus over TCP/IP.
My implementation is simple as a stick: one client at a time.
But I spotted a problem. OS is occasionally hanging up when
registering ethernet device.

NutRegisterDevice(&DEV_ETHER, 0, 0);

Throwing out this line helps, with unacceptable side effect of not
registering eth0...

What is interesting, watchdog does not solve the problem - only hard,
physical reset of the board.
This problem is really hard to reproduce - I had two days of testing,
with no hang up, but I also had few days of non-stop hanging or
4/10 hang ups when booting the board.

I'm trying to find out what can cause this behavior. Can you tell me
what mcu resources (except for INT6, memory and processor cycles)
NutOs is using to handle networking?

Thank's in advance.
--
Mateusz Szubart