[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS 5.0 and STM32 Support

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Aug 14 12:19:27 CEST 2012

Hi developers,

someone from STMicroelectronics emailed me in April after he learned at our booth in Nuremberg, that Nut/OS will support the STM32. I replied, that this is currently in beta and I expected something to become available within 1 to 2 months. If I remember correctly, Ole started merging the Cortex-M3 branch at that time.

After about 4 months I still haven't been able to check the STM32 parts, just did a few tests with the LPC17xx, which looked very good. I'm probably not the person, who can explain the status of the STM32 port. From what I've seen here in the list, it seems to work similar well.

I'd appreciate, if someone, who is more familiar with STM32, would respond to him. The background is, that he offered to officially publish the project, which will definitely attract ST customers and developers. Btw., he also asked, if we want anything else, like dev boards, samples etc. I told him, that Ulrich already got some and offered them to the community as well. But if there is any need, we may probably ask.

This will also bring up another topic: Releasing. Beginning of the year (or was it end of last year) I met Ole and Bernd here at egnite and Bernd was most helpful in explaining the Nut/OS track to IPv6 to us. Ole suggested, to include at least basic IPv6 support before releasing version 5. But not much had been done yet (no excuses, we had all been very busy). I first considered to create another minor version 4.12, to at least add a number of useful extensions, which are available for version 5 only, excluding CM3.

As time goes by, what's your opinion? Should I move forward, releasing 5.0-rc1 as a first version with STM32/LPC/Cortex-M3 support?

Thanks for your attention,