[En-Nut-Discussion] devnut_m3n: Merging to trunk, the SVN way

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Aug 21 16:26:56 CEST 2012

Hi Ole,

On 21.03.2012 15:40, Ole Reinhardt wrote:
> Do a checkin if everything got cleanly resolved. Always try to correctly
> decide which changes are of interest. Only merge changes from devnut_m3n
> to trunk if these are really part of the cortex development or related
> changes (e.g. phy driver, changes on the rtc api) etc. If there are
> questions on single files / changes, don't hesitate to ask.

After 5 months ;-), I do have a question.

In r3998 a pointer to NUTRTC has been added as a parameter to all RTC driver functions. From what I can see, we have a single registered RTC only, stored in

 static NUTRTC *reg_rtc;

IMHO the extra parameter generates much more code than accessing a global variable.

Beside that, it broke existing code, e.g. app/ftpd/. Although that had been marked deprecated, we should not do this without a good reason.

So, here's my question: What was the reason for this change?