[En-Nut-Discussion] SPI in IRQ

Ulrich Prinz ulrich.prinz at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:25:58 CET 2012

Hi Klaus,

If I understand the datasheet of the ADC correctly it serves you with
/DRDY signal every time a sample is complete.
So if you write a GPIO IRQ handler that reads the SPI at this time,
you are done with the first part.

For reading SPI you need to throw out dummy bytes that just trigger
SCK so the ADC can write via MISO to your AT91.
To get more free CPU time, you should think about using DMA transfer for SPI.
So you set up a dummy region of RAM that hold a fixed pattern of
control words and dummy bytes.
Then you set up another region to store the read values into.
Then you setup and start DMA with completion interrupt set.

The DMA completion interrupt then shows your application that there is
a new value available.

If you need several values at a time, you can expand the regions of
dummy and reception values and setup the DMA to transfer this bigger
regions. The DMA Interrupt then only counts down the number of samples
per block and calls your application after counter has reached 0.

To be more flexible and gather some additional time:
You can set the AT91 DMA to work with separate pages. So if a DMA is
completed you can flip to a nother page where it continues to work
right away. So after you sampled one page, you have time to decode and
move the date from there, while the DMA continues to write into the
second page. After the second page is completed the DMA flips back to
the first page or even a third page.

If I remeber my last AT91 devel over a year ago, it should be possible
to implement you ADC routines with just DMA and a single DMA interrupt
handler.

In general:
You should keep a state variable in you code, that shows if your
sampling is active. If not active, you can use normal nut/os SPI
functions to setup / program your ADC. After activating your sampling,
the variable should state that no normal nut/os function should
trigger SPI.

You did not state the reason for this construction but in general I
would suppose to use the I2S interface of an AT91 or STM32 and use the
special features of this interface that automates constant time
sampling and delivery of data with very low software overhead
including multi buffer handling ( work in one while the other is
filled, then switch)

I2S is just a derivate of SPI...

Ulrich