[En-Nut-Discussion] Designing Interfaces, e.g. DMA

Ulrich Prinz ulrich.prinz at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 3 11:51:40 CEST 2012

Hi Harald

most interest for DMA is on driver side, sure, but with Cortex chips
DMA can be used for memcopy too again. But this is manufacturer
specific, I think. So it works with STM but must not work with ATMEL.

If I remember correctly, in earlier times DMA was almost unused in
Nut/OS at all. As DMA is thought to be complicated we should make the
interface easy to show that this isn't true.
And yes, we should make it configureable as it needs power if it is
activated. So on battery applications it makes a difference if DMA is
enabled alle the time or only if it is needed.

Ulrich