[En-Nut-Discussion] Make hides compiler command lines

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Jul 6 11:06:48 CEST 2012

Hi Ulrich,

On 05.07.2012 22:08, Ulrich Prinz wrote:

> yes, I ran into protest from you and others and stopped merging my local
> version of makefiles. So the final version never made it into devnut_m3n.
> That is the reason why only some of your builds do not show so much infos.

I see. Anyway, no protest from my side. I just wanted to know the reason behind this.

Finally, you probably agree, that we can re-enable the verbose mode again as there are other ways to suppress the output.

> We could fight about the verbosity of the make process, but I guess we
> should unify all direct program calls to be variable calls ( rm should
> be $(RM) and we should unify where the variables are preset.

I fully agree. If you have done something here, your commits are welcome.

>>> Btw. I added "make burn" as a second 'programming' target. It
>>> simply programs without recompiling anything, what is helpful if
>>> you just need to test your things on a series of targets.
>>
>> Do you remember, where you needed to add this? Just curious, because
>> I'm using "make burn" (without recompiling) for years.
>>
> Ok, one I added program: as a new target as burn had all as the first
> rule in the Makefile.
> burn: all
>
> Are you sure it is the same thing in all targets? I am pretty sure I
> copied the involved Makfile for cm3-oocd from the arm version. May be
> there are differences too.

At least I'm using it on all my targets, AVR (8-bit), AT91 and LPC17xx. Btw. the 'burn' target is in app/Makerules.all and applies to all programming tools.