[En-Nut-Discussion] devnut_m3n: Merging to trunk, the SVN way

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Wed Mar 21 15:40:31 CET 2012

Hi Uwe,

>     Ulrich> Right: Uwe consider the following steps: Checkout a fresh copy
>     Ulrich> from devnut_m3n Branch this to i.e. dev_uwe_cm3integration and,
>     Ulrich> important!, switch this copy to this new branch.
>
> Do I have appropriate rights on sourceforge?

I just checked your permissions. AFAIK they should be ok to create a new
branch by using (all in one line

svn copy
https://u_bonnes@ethernut.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ethernut/trunk \
https://u_bonnes@ethernut.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ethernut/branches/devnut_uwe_cm3integration

svn co
https://u_bonnes@ethernut.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ethernut/branches/devnut_uwe_cm3integration
devnut_uwe_cm3integration

The newly created devnut_uwe_cm3integration directory now contains the
newly created branch working copy.

>     Ulrich> ( or use repository tools to copy devnut_m3n to
>     Ulrich> dev_uwe_cm3integration and checkout that branch directly)
>
>     >> For sure you could also create a new branch from trunk and merge the
>     >> devnut_m3n branch to this new branch.
>     >>
>     Ulrich> And in opposite to that, merge all newer revisions from trunk to
>     Ulrich> the branch. Where newer means everything that is newer in trunk
>     Ulrich> compared to devnut_m3n is now merged to dev_uwe_cm3integration.
>     >>
>     Ulrich> After that you start to compile for all and any supported
>     Ulrich> platform and check for errors, warnings and so on.
>
> Ahm, I can do some test for AVR and STM32, but that's all.
>
> After integration help and review from others is needed.

No problem.

Btw: I also planned to give it a try and to create an own trunk
integration branch at weekend.

> When checking in revisions from trunk, should I check in the results after
> resolving conflicts or should all happen one single step? I think the first
> solution is better, but it will create a lot of clutter in the log.

First you should only work on the devnut_uwe_cm3integration branch which
is then a fresh copy of trunk. There you will merge file by file from
devnut_m3n and resolve conflict by conflict.

Do a checkin if everything got cleanly resolved. Always try to correctly
decide which changes are of interest. Only merge changes from devnut_m3n
to trunk if these are really part of the cortex development or related
changes (e.g. phy driver, changes on the rtc api) etc. If there are
questions on single files / changes, don't hesitate to ask.

If this is all ok, we will need to review it. Then we can merge
everything back into trunk.

But as mentioned before I will also try a merge, latest at the weekend.
We could either compare our results before merging back to trunk or you
just wait a few days until I'm ready if you are unsure how to proceed.

Bye,

Ole

--

Thermotemp GmbH, Embedded-IT

Embedded Hard-/ Software and Open Source Development,
Integration and Consulting

http://www.embedded-it.de

Geschäftsstelle Siegen - Steinstraße 67 - D-57072 Siegen -
tel +49 (0)271 5513597, +49 (0)271-73681 - fax +49 (0)271 736 97

Hauptsitz - Hademarscher Weg 7 - 13503 Berlin
Tel +49 (0)30 4315205 - Fax +49 (0)30 43665002
Geschäftsführer: Jörg Friedrichs, Ole Reinhardt
Handelsregister Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 45978 UstID DE 156329280