[En-Nut-Discussion] last version of Nut/OS with last version of ICCAVR V8?

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed May 16 14:10:35 CEST 2012

Hi Jean Pierre,

On 16.05.2012 10:20, Jean Pierre Gauthier wrote:

> Is the last version of Nut/OS (4.10?) well works with the last version of
> ImageCraft  ICCAVR V8 compiler (dream: with code compressor/optimizer) ?

I assume, that there are not many ICCAVR users left and the interest in
this compiler dropped significantly. Nevertheless, I'm always trying to
convince our contributors, that it wouldn't be a good idea to implement
GNU or C99 specific stuff without providing a C89 alternative. To me,
ICCAVR is an important test case to make sure, that the code compiles on
non-GNU compilers.

Nut/OS 4.10 should work with ICCAVR V7. So far I haven't looked to V8,
but it's probably worth a try. But you may run into one problem when
coming from 4.4. The Nut/OS code size is constantly growing from version
to version. A code size review is badly needed.