[En-Nut-Discussion] Problems using global variables and/or floating point numbers on Nut/Os (using ethernut 5)

Vegard Aaker vegardaa at stud.ntnu.no
Sun May 20 16:24:59 CEST 2012

Hi,

It would have been really great if you could try the code and see if you
figure out what causes the error.

I had misunderstood some of the information about the processor (ARM926)
used in SAM9XE. I thought I knew that the processor had FPU, but I see now
that it is optional :( I am not sure if my plan for using the Ethernut
board will work without the FPU, but I will give it a try anyway.

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:

> Hi Vegard,
>
> On 19.05.2012 10:27, Vegard Aaker wrote:
>
> > I am using Ethernut 5 board and nut/os version 4.10.
> >
> > Do anyone have another os config file for the ethernut 5 board which
> > utilize the floating point unit on the processor? Even better would be if
> > anyone has both a code example and a config file I could try :)
>
> There is no FPU on the SAM9XE, all floating point operations are done in
> software by the C library, newlib in your case. Using floats on embedded
> systems is not a good idea unless you have an FPU attached.  I'm rarely
> using them, but I'll try your test case. In the meantime this page will
> provide additional information:
>
> http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/ntn-4_floats.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Harald