[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS GPIO API Initial Design and Current Status

Ulrich Prinz ulrich.prinz at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 12 22:20:04 CEST 2012

Hi Harald,

I am still very deep in other things, far away from Nut/OS but I asked
myself the same questions two years or so ago when starting to adapt a
software to the AT91SAM7X and then a year later when porting STM32Fx.

So here are my thoughts again:

1) There is no reason to number ports out. No one ever needs to have
ports in a row following a numbered scheme. With pins it is useful, but
I never saw a solution that required ports to exist in a certain follow up.

2) To assign numbers to things that obviously are not related to any
mathematical predictable rule always causes software overhead in sort of
tables, switch cases, if then else...

3) From the users point of view, Who (the hell) cares what
NUT_GPIO_PORTA really means? Everyone would expect that if I place this
'thing' somewhere it addresses exactly the port that the manufacturer
named A *). As a Nut/OS user I simply expect that
NutGpioPinGet(NUT_GPIO_PORTA, 5) would give me the state of the pin 4 on
port A.

4) If you programmed on dozens of litte chips, you learn that every chip
has its special way to support a kind of fast GPIO access. But every
chips does it in a different way. So to port a system to this chip, you
need to take your time and take your revolutions.
(When I startet with STM32 the GPIO was kind of some us per access, the
final driver needed just a single instruction.)

So step back, and take a second to add these facts together...

What must always work is the combination of names and functions to keep
Nut/OS API users happy.
Independent of any chip or CPU, NutGetPin/Port(NUT_GPIO_PORTx, bit) must
give the value of the bit at that port.

It does not matter if NUT_GPIO_PORTA is a thing hidden in a #define, a
hex value for a hard coded address, a pointer to a virtual register or a
simple number. As long as the API user can use it to set a bit or a
port, it is a number in AVR, a struct in STM32 an offset in ARM.

Now we have a second problem:
As you mentioned the extra features are a problem as different chips do
provide different optional features. I already proposed there something
but only Thiago aver tried to follow that thing. The idea was to make
some some commonly used options as a standard and to allow integrators
to add more.

If a value is not supported by the chip, it could be rejected with an
error code by the setup function, or it could just be ignored.
In any case it works with abstraction too. So again, for AVR the code
could take a lot of switch case instructions to configure the 4 possible
options if supports, while STM32 uses a hard to understand 4-liner to
setup 10 different configurations with a help of crude #defines.

And now, last not least, we have the ever existing CPU / demoboard
compatibility problem...

I think at the times we started porting of STM32 or a bit before we
thought about a board specific startup file. Before I already had added
some stupid things like push button handler or LED driver with some
blinking options.
So if you like to write more or less abstract demo code, you should add
board specific startup files and initialize buttons, eeproms, LEDs and
other things there. The demo application just uses the registered
devices. And in addition to the startup.c you need a board specific .h
file where you can adapt some things.
And if a board really doesn't support any kind of LED you could assign
the LED pins to some unused GPIOs, so it doesn't hurt the demo with lots
of #ifdef...#endif.

Thats just my small collection of ideas.

Ulrich

Remarks:
*) Only small CPUs have their ports numbered with letters, all bigger
ARMs use numbered values like GPIO1_4 as port 1, pin 4