[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS GPIO API Initial Design and Current Status

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Oct 13 00:08:38 CEST 2012

    Harald> I know, I'm blamable for some confusion. Unfortunately, a
    Harald> statement I made in another thread about GPIO banks and PIO IDs
    Harald> was wrong.

    Harald> http://lists.egnite.de/pipermail/en-nut-discussion/2012-October/014053.html

    Harald> In fact, banks are not assigned to IDs, they are simply numbered
    Harald> upwards. Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully I'll get it right
    Harald> now. :-)

I started from a different background. I casually contributed to
ethernut since some years and ethernut helped me to renovate our
accelerator control system. But using the AVR with it's 5 Volt design and
low RAM hit many limits. So Cortex Chips seemed promissing and Ulrichs
STM32 cm3-devel trunk on sourceforge too. But as developpment stalled and even more
powerfull STM32 appeared, I got deeper involved.

And here the different views arose: For the CM3 trees, "bank" was always a
"handle" in the Win32 API view or "magic number" as it is the port base
address in the arm memory range. I never knew other until recent.

    Harald> GpioPinSetLow() and friends had been intentionally implemented
    Harald> as simple functions, which can be easily ported to any
    Harald> platform. The initial idea was: As soon as this is done for any
    Harald> new target, many (bit-banging and polling) drivers should be
    Harald> available without any further effort.

    Harald> This means: Implement a few simple functions and you'll get low
    Harald> level I2C, SPI, MMC and higher level parts like file systems,
    Harald> calender chips, serial flash and much more goodies for
    Harald> free. Motto: "Porting Nut/OS in 2 hours."

Well, I have a bitbanging debug driver under my fingers. This will allow to
use the STM32F4 discovery boards nearly self-contained, after reflashing the
original ST-LINK with the "Blackmagic Debug Probe" code. It uses the Gpio
Api and at the moment the CM3 systick for timing. So it will work not only
for STM32 but any CM3 arch.

    Harald> GpioPinSetLow() expects 2 arguments, a bank number (port
    Harald> identifier) and the bit number. The bank number has been 1 for
    Harald> PORTA, 2 for PORTB and so on for Atmel targets. As a special
    Harald> exception, early Atmel targets do only provide as single PORT
    Harald> (without a letter), which has been assigned to bank 0. Still
    Harald> simple, isn't it?

    Harald> After the first version had been created, it looked as a good
    Harald> idea to use this API in other places. For example, Ethernet
    Harald> drivers for memory mapped Ethernet controller chips do not
    Harald> really depend on the target they are running on, except a few
    Harald> GPIO functions, which are used to control the controller's reset
    Harald> line or to monitor the controller's IRQ line. As a portable
    Harald> interrupt API existed already, it was simple to replace any
    Harald> outr() with GpioPinXXX() to get a portable driver. Other
    Harald> examples are the MMA745X velocity driver or the VS10XX audio
    Harald> codec drivers.

    Harald> So far so good. Are you still with me? :-)

    Harald> Having an embedded system without samples that demonstrate GPIO
    Harald> is somehow incomplete. Such samples existed, but were
    Harald> contaminated with #ifdefs to handle all those different
    Harald> platforms. It looked attractive to use the new GPIO API to
    Harald> create portable applications. And, in my view, this is where all
    Harald> the trouble starts.

    Harald> Suddenly users demand to implement all these special functions,
    Harald> that their target chip provides. Enabling pull-ups or switching
    Harald> from push/pull to open drain are the most harmless variants
    Harald> (which btw. would have been required by an I2C driver
    Harald> anyway). Other, less harmless extensions were debouncing,
    Harald> repeater mode and other exotic stuff.  Instead of one simple
    Harald> dev/gpio.h and its related implementations arch/arm/at91_gpio.c,
    Harald> arch/avr/gpio.c etc. we now have several headers, and a growing
    Harald> number of features. This makes it harder and harder for newbies
    Harald> to implement GPIO on a new platform. The initial idea was
    Harald> spoiled.

I don't agree with your view. Each architecture needs a setup for it's GPIO,
and this setup is getting more complicated as chips get more
compilcated. This results in more available feature, but many features are
only features, nice things to have, but not nescessary for general examples.

This is where my plea from July for a definition of a common subset for
features, defined in include/dev/gpio.h came from. Other architecture
specific features can then be defined in the dev/gpio_<arch>.h files. But
other architecture must know what to do if they find such a feature
request. Is it really a request or a requirement? Should they fail in
GpioPinConfigSet or should they ignore the request? That we need to agree
about.

    Harald> What happed to the intended bit-banging GPIO API based drivers?
    Harald> Almost nothing! Well, there is one SPI bus driver and a
    Harald> MultiMediaCard driver, but no one is using it. They are quite
    Harald> bulky and slow, not very attractive for board supporters. Just
    Harald> for the completeness: Recently a 1-wire bus driver had been
    Harald> added.

    Harald> Scanning the current trunk shows, that GpioPinConfigSet()
    Harald> appears in 63 files! Who is using this then?

    Harald> Now the fun really begins: The GPIO API is mainly used by target
    Harald> specific drivers. Why, the hell, do target specific drivers
    Harald> prefer the bulky and slow GPIO API, instead of using native port
    Harald> access? My assumption is, that this was motivated by the
    Harald> configuration feature. The Nut/OS Configurator offers to define
    Harald> banks in a user friendly way, depending on the current target as
    Harald> PORTA on Atmel chips or PORT0 on NXP chips. So using GpioPinXX()
    Harald> allows to (ab-)use this feature.

Or you view it another way: GPIO API offers such a flexible way that
using it was the most straightforward thing.

    Harald> Of course, developer's recognized, that GpioPinXX() was bulky
    Harald> and slow.  To overcome this limitation, target specific inline
    Harald> versions had been created to replace the original
    Harald> versions. IMHO, that's the final stab.

    Harald> GPIO API, REST IN PIECE. ;-)

I hope, I oversee the smiley.

My work on the AVR showed, that even for that arch you could defined the
GpioApi in a way that will result in most cases in the single commands sbi()
and cbi() as would unportable direct coding. And even
the bank argument as a runtime variable can be handled without a big runtime
switch case but by a pointer access if you look at the three consecutive AVR
port/pin/ddr register as a structure.

    Harald> Now I'm really coming to an end. Just a few seconds...

    Harald> A few target specific drivers use a different approach to avoid
    Harald> the GPIO API and still provide configuration capabilities. They
    Harald> are based on macros and include/cfg/arch/porttran.h. And they
    Harald> are very tricky to implement, difficult to use and result in
    Harald> ugly, hard to follow code.  Beside that, they use PIO IDs, not
    Harald> port banks.

Seems like a lot of code has not been touched for ages. Does it really work
still ? Has anybody tested?

So let me come to an end too:

I hope that  GPIO API prospers!

At the moment AVR and STM32 make the most use of it. Other architecture need
some work. Let's start after the  5.x release to get things straight.

Bye
---
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de