[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS GPIO API Initial Design and Current Status

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Sun Oct 14 19:11:05 CEST 2012

Hi Thiago,

On 14.10.2012 18:05, Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:

>> Why the hell is the portable Gpio API used for drivers, which are not
>> portable themselves?
>>

> In the case for AVR32 (where I suspect most of the calls you mention
> comes from), each peripheral must initialize it's pin alternative

Definitely not, the most references are in arch/cm3.

> just didn't matter if it could be faster or not. So it happens that
> when porting I did not care to provide any AVR32 specific faster way
> of doing that, the portable was just good enough.

Comprehensible.

However, the original API provided GPIO_CFG_DISABLED, which attracts
developers to enhance this with the type of peripheral function, that
should be activated then. Today I see, that the introduction of
GPIO_CFG_DISABLED was a mistake.