[En-Nut-Discussion] RFA_2: Nut/OS GPIO API

Ulrich Prinz ulrich.prinz at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:18:29 CEST 2012

You'd prefer to build new cars without ABS as old cars don't have it
and ABS cannot be added later on?

Second, how many lines of wrapped around code a single GPIO pin
configuration should need?
GPIO_CFG_OPEN_DRAIN...
NutGpioPinCfg( NUT_GPIO_PORT_ONE, NUT_GPIO_PIN_FOURTEEN,
NUT_GPIO_PIN_CONFIG_AS_INPUT | NUT_GPIO_PIN_CONFIG_WITH_PULLUP_ON...

Couldn't we stick to some short readable thing, couldn't we use
acronyms that are usual even outside of ATMEL and couldn't we define
new acronyms that clean up with old errors that we made?

So let's start using NUTPINCFG_OP or _OUT for output that does use
open-drain. NUTPINCFG_PP for push-pull _HIZ.
Much lesss writing, much less obsolete characters on the screen.

And to keep backwards compatibility, we could do this:
#define GPIO_CFG_OUTPUT (GPIO_CFG_OUT | GPIO_CFG_PP)
#define GPIO_CFG_MULTIDRIVE GPIO_CFG_HIZ

Why always stick to these tiny old and slow AVRs? Several new members
of the list started right into Nut/OS on ARM an CM3 without ever
having seen an AVR.

I mean we like to present an over all new major release of Nut/OS and
then stick to old and obviously wrong decisions we made at times far
in the past.

Sometimes I don't understand...

Ulrich