[En-Nut-Discussion] RFA_4: Nut/OS GPIO API

Ulrich Prinz ulrich.prinz at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 20 01:33:42 CEST 2012

Accepted with, sorry, some simple minimal comments:

 > 9.3 With NUTDEBUG defined, it is usefull if a possible much slower
 > codepath is taken that checks for parameter validity.

This might get difficult if you need / like to write an atomic / thread
safe GPIO access. But we didn't commit to provide a standardized atomic
port or pin access function, did we?

With providing emulation drivers for all platforms, this might get a
problem in future as these drivers may not work while NUTDEBUG is
enabled or the timing changes if NUTDEBUG is switched.

 > 10.4 If the requested capability is not available for the specified
 > pin/port, the API function must return -1 to indicate an error.
 > Otherwise 0 is returned.

Please declare this more unspecific as one big black hole in Nut/OS is
error reporting. Please change the text to:

... the API function returns 0 in case of success, while any negative
value reports an error. For now negative values might differ for the
architectures and might be standardized later.

 > 12.1 After registration, interrupts are disabled.
 >
 > 12.2 It is expected, that interrupts are triggered on any pin change
 > by default.

If we expect the driver to disable interrupts on registration, why and
how can it select the interrupt type by default? And remember platforms
that set disable or type of interrupt in one register.

12.1 After registration, interrupts are disabled. The driver should
return a negative value in any case the registration fails.

12.2 The type of interrupt needs to be configured by the user.
Unsupported interrupt types will make the function return a negative
value. If an interrupt is configured but no interrupt registration has
been done first, a negative value is returned too, the type of interrupt
stays disabled.

(It is easier to have a running system supporting me by finding the
fault than bus faults urging me to connect JTAG and run GDB)