[En-Nut-Discussion] apps/httpd/sample/asp.asp

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Sep 5 09:21:05 CEST 2012

Hi Uwe,

On 04.09.2012 16:01, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

>     Harald> Hi Uwe, On 04.09.2012 11:43, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
>
>     >> - For __CORTEX__ asp and ssi handling were not enabled
>
>     Harald> Using the "marketing" macro __CORTEX__ instead of the build-in
>     Harald> __ARM_ARCH_7M__ never made any sense to me. Your post shows,
>     Harald> that it even creates confusion.
> Either I "stand on the conductor" (translated from a german saying) or you
> are too tense. Do you want to replace __CORTEX__ with __ARM_ARCH_7M__ ? But
> CORTEX isn't M7. The arm site
> http://www.arm.com/products/processors/selector.php
> lists Cortex_A?Cortex_R/Cortex_M/Arm11/Arm9 and Arm7. So for me
> __ARM_ARCH_7M__  is something different then Cortex_M.

The predefined macros are not referring to product family names, but to the underlying architecture. See

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/Thumb2PortingHowto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ARM_microprocessor_cores

IMHO, this is the only interesting information for code separation. However, the majority of Nut/OS users seems to prefer the popular product names. See the thread that started about one year ago

http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/13045/12384/

I never liked this decision and Ole recently followed my view (his post from Oct. 23rd). There had been no protests so far, so we should move from __CORTEX__ to GCC's build-in macros. Note, that ARMv7 does have several variants and also many things in common. But as far as I can say, __ARM_ARCH_7M__ is the only architecture that's currently supported by Nut/OS for the Cortex family.