[En-Nut-Discussion] Runtime library dependencies

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Fri Sep 28 15:03:29 CEST 2012

Hi Harald and all others,

> In general, I do not think that it is a good idea to stick to a
> specific runtime library. If a some runtime libraries provide useful
> functions, we should use them, no question. But please, do not remove
> the independent code parts. Keep them as a fallback alternative. For
> avr-libc use
>
> #if defined(__AVR_LIBC_VERSION__)
> /* Code that requires avr-libc. */
> #else
> /* Code for other libs or stand-alone code. */
> #endif

Yes, I agree. We should try to keep it compatible. But in the next
moment I'm thinking about other tools as well (Keil etc...) we don't
have specific support for these tools yet. But it might be a good Idea
to get in contact with these companies to get at least mentioned as
supported OS. Unfortunately this will take some effort to make NutOS
compatible with their tools but also might increase the user base.

> My reason for trying each final version with Imagecraft is to make
> sure, that we do not run into dependencies, which we may later regret.
>
> I never got Nut/OS implemented for ImageCraft (although Richard kindly
> provided a free version). I'm aware, that the ARM code makes some use
> of newlib specific features. But that shouldn't be an invitation to
> replace already standalone working code with newlib features. At least
> the very first Nut/OS for ARM implementation worked without any C
> library at all. May be I should re-awake this feature, which is still
> available in the Configurator.

Do we really _need_ the newlib features? I can not remember to use any
newlib specific code, at least in the code I wrote. All functions we use
are just "normal" libc functions. And if there is any function that is
not yet available in our small libc implementation we could think about
adding these specific functions as well.

Do you have any example for "newlib" only functions that we use?

Just an idea.

Bye,

Ole

--

Thermotemp GmbH, Embedded-IT

Embedded Hard-/ Software and Open Source Development,
Integration and Consulting

http://www.embedded-it.de

Geschäftsstelle Siegen - Steinstraße 67 - D-57072 Siegen -
tel +49 (0)271 5513597, +49 (0)271-73681 - fax +49 (0)271 736 97

Hauptsitz - Hademarscher Weg 7 - 13503 Berlin
Tel +49 (0)30 4315205 - Fax +49 (0)30 43665002
Geschäftsführer: Jörg Friedrichs, Ole Reinhardt
Handelsregister Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 45978 UstID DE 156329280