[En-Nut-Discussion] Problem with PPP and DNS

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Mon Apr 29 12:12:50 CEST 2013

Hi,

> I noticed that DNS configuration (DNS servers' IP) obtained via PPP
> connection is not used by for example NutDnsGetHostByName function. I
> don't know if my patch is correct, but works :)

Indeed the PPP code does not configure the DNS, nor does it set the
default route.

Have you seen the ppp client example? There the DNS and default route
are set manually after establishing the connection.

I would like to discuss this, before changing the PPP code:

In general I think we could apply your patch this way, but it might be a
good idea to leave the DNS configuration and route setting up to the
user. At least on my PC I sometimes decide to _not_ take over the PPP
client settings, but keep my default settings, especially if I just want
to use the PPP connection to connect to let's say a remote sensor or
something similar.

However, what does the other think about it?

Best regards,

Ole Reinhardt

--
kernel concepts GmbH            Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48         Mob: +49-177-7420433