[En-Nut-Discussion] Where to define PIN mapping

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Feb 19 14:09:44 CET 2013

    Harald> Hi Uwe, On 18.02.2013 13:01, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

    >> most recent controller allow to select the pin location for internal
    >> devices. So ethernut needs a way to know about the pin setting. Pin
    >> Setting

    Harald> I'm not sure if I got you. Even early AT91 devices allow to have
    Harald> certain device at alternate pins, this is nothing new.

So probably arch/arm/dev/atmel/i2cbus_at91.c was a bad example I looked at?
The datasheet has no alternate pins for I2C, at least I see no such pins,
and I also see no way to choose the pins.

    Harald> The board.conf files are responsible to define the pins actually
    Harald> used on a specific board layout.

Probably we don't have a common understanding. I mean pins like the UART TX
pin. For the STM32 you may use up to at least 3 different pins for this
function . The usart driver needs to know which pin to connect internally to
the uart device. So if board.h would define the usage, we would again need
board.h at library compile time. I am stuck.

    >> Is there some policy or consense what solution to choose?

    Harald> Again, I'm not sure if I really got what you meant. Please
    Harald> correct me, if I misunderstood the point.

We are stuck due to missing understanding...

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de