[En-Nut-Discussion] Include <dev/board.h> in TWI devices like dev/at24c.c?

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Jan 30 13:02:29 CET 2013

Hi again,

On 30.01.2013 12:40, Harald Kipp wrote:

> Appreciated. However, this solution would break existing applications.
> As long as it doesn't make things too complicated, we should try to
> maintain upward compatibility.

In case you are not aware of, we currently have 3 versions of the I2C API:

1. The original supports a single interface only.

2. Ulrich's version allows to use multiple interfaces, as long as they
are based on the same hardware.

3. Recently I created a new version, which is based on NUTI2C_BUS,
similar to NUTSPIBUS. It allows to attach any I2C device to any I2C bus
type. Specifically it allows to mix I2C hardware based and bit-banging.
And, like the change for the SPI Bus, this new version is completely
incompatible to all previous versions.

http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/I2C_Bus_API
http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/ntn-6_spi.html

The third incarnation is not very well tested and is currently
implemented on the AT91 platform only. Because of this and for
compatibility reasons we will probably have to support the first and the
second version for some time.