[En-Nut-Discussion] Problem with ARM floating point, again

Bob Wirka bobwirka at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 16:08:15 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm having issues with printf("%f") on my AT91SAM7X512 platform (using ethernut-4.10.3). We're using the Codesourcery compiler (gcc version 4.5.1 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010.09-51)).

I believe this is an alignment issue with va_arg(). I'll try to attach 4 screen shots (two pairs) showing different results with the same code; the only difference being that the failure occured after some additional code was included in the build.The first shot of each pair
shows the source code being executed and the output. The second shot
of the pair shows the debugger after executing va_arg(). The first two show successful operation, the second two show failure. You can see the result of the va_arg() call in the debugger watch window.

The code attempts to execute "printf("testing %.03f\n" , fval);", where 'fval' is 4.08.

Essentially, the call to va_arg(ap , double) at line 449 in putf.c can return an incorrect value. The function _dtoa_r() does not seem to be the culprit, at least in my case.

When printf fails, it prints -0.000 instead of 4.08 because the call to va_arg(ap , double) returns -5.3102737417063065e-315.

It would appear that when additional (not executed) code is included in the build, the failure will occur. I've seen this kind of flaky behaviour before in a linux driver; the problem there was cured by adding alignment pragmas.

I hope this helps. This has been a real problem.

Best,

Bob Wirka
Realtime Control Works
Janesville, WI