[En-Nut-Discussion] Any reason _not_ to compile with debugging symbols?

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Feb 18 19:17:11 CET 2014

Hi Uwe,

On 17.02.2014 11:46, bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de wrote:
> it there any reason _not_ to enable debugging symbol generation for all
> Makefiles?

Just a very weak reasons for the paranoid: File size. The Windows
installation, containing all binary builds, is nearly 160MB. But any
good reason to include debug symbols may outvote this concern.

How about compile time? Will it increase significantly?

> Otherwise: Has anybody an idea how we can enable -Og (versus -O0 at present)
> for all debug builds with gcc 4.8 ?

Not in a host platform independent way, at least not automatically. A
brute force method is to create
Makedefs/Makevars/Makerules.arm-gccdbgopt and overwrite CFLAGS_OPT. The
Configurator detects them and presents a new platform to be selected the
user.

For a private patch you can redefine almost all definitions in UserConf.mk.