[En-Nut-Discussion] Industrial interfaces (Modbus TCP, Profinet, etc.)

Philipp Burch phip at hb9etc.ch
Wed Jul 16 20:31:37 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask if anyone of you has experience with integrating
Ethernut-driven devices in industrial networks based on Ethernet.
Sometime in the near future, we will need to implement some standardized
industrial interface in one of our devices, such as Modbus TCP or
Profinet. Does someone already have such code at hand by chance? I'm not
concerned about Modbus TCP, this should be fairly simple to implement.
But as far as I understand Profinet, this works below the transport
layer, i.e. it does not (only) use TCP or UDP, but something different.
Or are there other popular interfaces that could be a good choice? We do
have an FPGA on that device, but I'd prefer to do the network stuff only
in the microcontroller, so EtherCAT is not really an option.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Philipp