[En-Nut-Discussion] Industrial interfaces (Modbus TCP, Profinet, etc.)

Philipp Burch phip at hb9etc.ch
Wed Jul 16 22:16:16 CEST 2014

Hi Thiago,

thanks for your response. TCP clearly provides a very reliable channel,
but "if bogus data, then intentionally" sounds a bit too easy. Anyway,
if that's the way to go, then ok, makes life easier. Can't be too bad if
everyone's doing it this way.

As far as I know, hubs aren't used anymore for Ethernet, so there should
be no possibility for hardware collisions. A switch might start to drop
packets if it can't transmit them fast enough (probably because two NICs
are sending data in full speed to a single third one), but this should
not happen in an automation application usually. As far as I understand
Profinet, they use TCP/IP for some tasks, different transport (or even
link-layer) protocols for other, but everything in standard Ethernet
frames. So there should be no need for special hardware for that. I
haven't found a real in-depth documentation of the whole Profinet stuff
however, so probably I'm wrong.

Kind regards,
Philipp