[En-Nut-Discussion] License change of STM32 Header files in mbed repo

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Mar 13 11:29:22 CET 2014

Hello,

ST started to change the license of their device headers from their generic
license to a BSD license with the announce of STM32CubeF4. On embedded world
2014 I was told by STM representatives that a similar release for the other
families will take some time ("this year"). As we use stm32f10x.h,
stm32f2xx.h, stm32f3xx.h and stm32l1xx.h in our project (NutOS
http://www.ethernut.de/), we need our users to accept these licenses in a
seperate step. We want to get rid of that a.s.a.p., but with the communicated
release scheme this would take some time and effort to keep our configurator
up to date.

With commit
28120ffb1951505705ad4bc3d2fc2fcb271f28f6  in
https://github.com/mbedmicro/mbed.git
you changed the license of many ST provided files beside F4 to a BSD license,
especially stm32f10x.h, stm32f0xx.h and stm32l1xx.h. Your merge request
does not come fom an official STM address. Can you point me to some
"official" statement (download, mail, etc) about the license change for
stm32f10x.h, stm32f0xx.h and stm32l1xx.h? And how about stm32f2xx.h,
stm32f3xx.h and stm32l0xx.h.

Thanks

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de