[En-Nut-Discussion] Multiple network interfaces and IP aliasing

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Mar 31 15:07:09 CEST 2014

Hi Henrik,

On 20.03.2014 07:22, Henrik Maier wrote:

> The Nut/OS road map at http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/Nut/OS_Roadmap
> documents the status for Multiple network interfaces as "in progress".
>
> a) What is the current status and which bits are missing?
>
> b) Does Nut/OS support IP aliasing, eg. can we have more than one IP
> address assigned to one Ethernet interface?

Some time ago it had been assumed, that no more than 1 network interface
is supported. I remember having considered multiple network interfaces
in early development stages. And indeed, I tested this about a year ago
with an Ethernet to GPRS gateway and it worked out of the box.

I missed to update this wiki page.

However, assigning multiple IP addresses to a single interface could be
a real problem, because in the initial design this was not in my mind.

Is there really any need to assign multiple IP addresses to an embedded
system's network interface?