[En-Nut-Discussion] Default timezone

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Nov 27 17:05:01 CET 2014

Hi Uwe,

On 27.11.2014 11:31, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> By the way, shouldn't we change the defaults from EST to
> MET? How many active developpers do we have in the EST timezone?

How do you define developers? Nut/OS application software developers or
Nut/OS system software developers? While most of the latter are
definitely located in the CET, my guess for the former is, based on the
_development_ kits sold, that they are located in the four North
American timezones.

As far as I remember, I chose EST in memory of some very early computer
engineers. Although Mr. Hollerith's parents were Germans, it looks a bit
strange to me, to make Central Europe the default timezone for the world.

None of our real world applications care about the default timezone. If
calendar time is required, then it is required to make the timezone user
settable. So, if you want to change the default, there are no
objections. But why not select the real center of the world? Which,
without doubt, ever had been and will ever remain our honored epicenter:

http://www.linuxpinguin.de/wp-content/2013/11/Britain-the-world-center.jpg

;-)