[En-Nut-Discussion] Help with naming another USART driver

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Dec 10 12:13:25 CET 2015

Hello,

as base for device specific usart drivers we have dev/usart.c and
dev/usart_cb.c.

usart.c can handle only one U(S)ART device per invokation, and usart_cb.c
only handles power of two buffer sizes and stops the USART device multiple
times during write and read. If using DMA, these stops require a lot of
work to stop DMA and set it up anew.

I have some WIP code in my codebase, modelled after usart.c , that
can handle multiple devices. It reads critical values inside the
driver code and so only needs to stop selected interrupts versus only
versus the general stop of interrupts by the critical section in usart.c

The STM32 backend probably won't handle XON/XOFF. Software CTS/RTS is also
not high on my focus.

The working name I use is "usart_dma", as it should cope better with DMA.

Any better naming ideas?
Anything else I should consider?

bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de