[En-Nut-Discussion] NutDnsGetHostByName dotted quad hostname

Coleman Brumley cbrumley at polarsoft.biz
Tue Feb 24 18:14:54 CET 2015

Hello,

In working with DNS name resolution recently (4.10.3), I realized that
NutDnsGetHostByName doesn't accept hostnames in IPv4 dotted quad format.

Since gethostbyname() allows it, and the dotted quad format is an accepted
hostname per RFC1123, I was thinking it would be nice if NutDnsGetHostByName
did the same thing.

To accomplish this, I propose the following:

u_long NutDnsGetHostByName(CONST u_char * hostname)
{
    u_long ip=0;
    ip=inet_addr(hostname);
    if(ip==0)
    	ip=NutDnsGetResource(hostname, 1);
    return ip;
}

Or, alternatively, only call inet_addr if NutDnsGetResource fails:

u_long NutDnsGetHostByName(CONST u_char * hostname)
{
    u_long ip=0;
    ip=NutDnsGetResource(hostname, 1);
    if(ip==0)