[En-Nut-Discussion] STM32L1xx series status

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Jan 5 11:09:49 CET 2015

    Ulrich> Hi Uwe, Thanks for the script, but I might have to explain a
    Ulrich> bit, what my intentions are...

    Ulrich> All bigger projects like an OS are not a one-man show but
    Ulrich> different people contribute in parts of the project, where they
    Ulrich> have knowledge, but just issue wishes and suggestions in parts,
    Ulrich> where they have no skills.  I specialized in hw/sw interface
    Ulrich> programming and even I code in kernel drivers or parts of
    Ulrich> Android, I still code in C99. So my QT skills, or any other
    Ulrich> graphical UI skills, are practically non existent.

Same here.

    Ulrich> So if I tell about a feature I like to see in the UI, it is as
    Ulrich> it is, a feature that I like to see, but I cannot implement.

    Ulrich> For the script workaround.... I, personally, do not have any
    Ulrich> problems to work around and around, but as I did in the former
    Ulrich> company, I need to do in the current: I train people to work
    Ulrich> with nutO/S.  I was telling people how easy it is, delevloping
    Ulrich> great things with nutO/S... But then I start the training with
    Ulrich> workaround over workaround...

I don't see a script as a workaround. Scripts allow use in Makefiles or
other automatic flows, needed for substainability in projects with long
maintainance time. The script works much nicer in a revision controlled
environment than any GUI point and click.

    Ulrich> With the last company it ended in a nutO/S where company IP and
    Ulrich> open source code where so wrapped and twisted and worked around,
    Ulrich> that it was not possible to push back nice ideas to the
    Ulrich> repositories.  So with this run, I'd like to keep open source
    Ulrich> code and company IP strictly separated. And I wanted to keep out
    Ulrich> any kind of workaround that needs to exist longer than 6 weeks
    Ulrich> until an official solution is found.

    Ulrich> The thread now has a different title, so I open up a new one to
    Ulrich> request this feature... So things do not get messed up again.

Please reconsider the usage of th script versus the proposed GUI additions.

Happy new year!
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de