[En-Nut-Discussion] Different dataflash APIs: NUTSERIALFLASH <-> NUTBLOCKIO

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Thu Jan 15 16:13:29 CET 2015

Hi all,

in my current projekt, we need to use a at25 dataflash along with uflash
filesystem and with the SPIFI interface of the lpc4078.

It is quite some time, that I used the serial flash devices, so i had to
study the current Nut/OS APIs as well.

What i found is:

- We have several different drivers for the AT45d* flash devices

and

- We have two different APIs

  * NUTSERIALFLASH
  * NUTBLOCKIO

Uflashfs only works together with the NUTSERIALFLASH API.

Further more it looks like no filesystem driver, or any other code uses
the NUTBLOCKIO API based drivers.

My question: Why do we have two different driver APIs for serial flash
devices, and what is the NUTBLOCKIO API is used for? Especially we have
more flash drivers providing the NUTBLOCKIO API than the NUTSERIALFLASH API?

And to not invent the wheel twice: Does anybody have implemented a
NUTSERIALFLASH style driver for the AT25 chips yet?

Best regards,

Ole

--
kernel concepts GmbH            Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48         Mob: +49-177-7420433