[En-Nut-Discussion] Nutos 5.1 on Ethernut 1.3g with multiple threads: network freezes

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Jul 2 13:41:55 CEST 2015

Hi Jonathan,

On 30.06.2015 01:39, Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> So, having the rtl8019as driver in arch/avr/dev/ is an anomally then?

I wouldn't call it anomaly. Most contributors won't be able to write
drivers for platforms they are not familiar with. Let's assume you
created a new driver for a new audio codec chip with interrupt handling
and DMA and your target board is based on an AVR.

If the driver is purely based on existing peripheral drivers like SPI,
I2C etc. you could be quite sure, that this will work on other platforms
as well, as long as you are using the Nut/OS SPI/I2C interface API. In
this case nut/dev is the right place for your driver.

If, however, your driver needs to handle additional GPIO signals and
possibly run an additional timer interrupt, nobody would expect, that
you are able to write this driver for all supported platforms. In this
case nut/arch/avr/dev would be the right place.