[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Moving to github

Simon Budig simon at budig.de
Mon Jul 20 16:54:14 CEST 2015

Hi Harald.

Harald Kipp (harald.kipp at egnite.de) wrote:
> On 20.07.2015 14:25, Simon Budig wrote:
> > Harald Kipp (harald.kipp at egnite.de) wrote:
> >> If it was: "Should we move to Github?" then I can't give any answer,
> >> because the question makes no sense too me. Decentralization implies,
> >> that there is no central code base, doesn't it?
> >
> > Well, you want to have a "home" for the project where newbies can grab a
> > copy of the code, without having to jump through hoops to find the
> > "correct" tree.
>
> And what do you think is "the correct tree"? The one with the most
> forks? The root fork? The one that distributes official releases? The
> most active, most supported, most reliable?
>
> If its a well maintained repository that exactly fits my needs, I
> wouldn't care, if it's called "official" or not. And of course I'd offer
> my patches to this specific repository in the first place.

Ok, I really can't judge what is the best for a project with such vastly
different usage scenarios as NutOS, and I certainly don't claim to be an
expert on the perfect usage of Git.

But I really believe, that NutOS makes it quite hard for someone
interested in its development. I was lucky: when I started working with
it, I had Ole sitting in the chair next to me. But even then it was
quite a puzzle until I had a working setup.

This might be a problem not only just related to the source code
repository but also the way it is presented on its web site.

If NutOS will be heading towards fully distributed git repositories then
at least a web page is needed clearly recommending repositories for the
different architectures.

Bye,
         Simon

--