[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Moving to github

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Jul 22 11:42:40 CEST 2015

Hi Thiago,

On 21.07.2015 16:45, Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
>> Aha! So... we like decentralization and anarchy, but somebody has to
>> tell us, where is the focus and whom we have to follow. Anarchy for
>> bookkeepers. ;-)
>
> I never said I like it. I tolerate git.

I see. I get the point.

> We would have n people tracking m repositories for each change and evaluate
> if it is worth cherry picking. I don't see it working on the long run. At
> some point the changes are unmergeable.

For a new project that might become difficult, I agree. Nut/OS is quite
old and changes done during the last months are quite manageable. To me
it is more important to maintain backward compatibility. We are still
using Nut/OS a lot for 8 bit AVR.

It may not work for general changes, like IPv6. But specifically for
IPv6 I came to the conclusion, that it would be better to create a fork
and abandon backward compatibility.

> The linux kernel has a huge number of different repositories for different
> archs or whatever new stuff someone is working on, yet there is an official
> tree.

Sorry, but this is simply not true. There are many Linux kernel
repositories, which offer special versions or features, some of which
will never make it into Linus' master repository or, like Android, live
side by side for years with little merging only.