[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Make ethernet phy mode RMII the default

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jul 23 11:31:01 CEST 2015

Hello,

This mails now is sent with intend...

    Ole> Hi Uwe, in most designs, we normaly use RMII mode anyway, because
    Ole> it needs less connections.

    Ole> AFAIK MII mode is only needed for some AT91 platforms. So I would
    Ole> suggest to make RMII mode the default for most platforms and keep
    Ole> MII as default only for those AT91 drivers. What do you think?

This sounds like a good idea, but I have problems to implement.

How I would like the logic to be:

- for any arch, if "PHY_MODE_MII" is defined in the .conf file,
  PHY_MODE_MII should be provided and should be defined.
- for any arch, if "PHY_MODE_RMII" is defined in the .conf file,
  PHY_MODE_MII should not be provided and should not be defined.
- For AT91, with neither "PHY_MODE_RMII" nor "PHY_MODE_MII" in the conf file,
  "PHY_MODE_MII" should be provided and be defined.
- For all other archs, with neither "PHY_MODE_RMII" nor "PHY_MODE_MII" in
  the conf file, "PHY_MODE_MII" should not be provided and not be defined.

A "PHY_MODE_MII" provided will present the user the MII pin selection
in the configurator. Otherwise the MII-only pins are greyed out.
A "PHY_MODE_MII" defined will switch to MII mode in the code.

Any other implementation ideas welcome.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de