[En-Nut-Discussion] Multiple admins, was: Re: RFC: Moving to github

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:06:04 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:

> Hi Uwe,
>
> On 23.07.2015 12:28, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> > one aspect with  a central git repo not yet discussed is multiple
> > admins. All the git projects I know have only one admin. So with all my
> > changes to STM32, should I always have waited until Harald finds time to
> > pull my pull request?
>
> Good point.
>
> Ole mentioned
> > ...we would (could) introduce a patch review mechanism...
>
> May be he can explain this idea further.

If we do code review, which I highly recommend we do, because it increases
the code quality, it could be a matter of process instead of a matter of
permissions.

Github allows you to add developers to commit to one repository, so I'm
assuming those developers can also approve pull requests. If so, we could
all have write permissions to the master repository, yet we don't approve
our own changes, instead we ask some one else to review them. If no one is
available for more than a set of days, we carefully auto aprove a request.

That's what Qt does, but they use Gerrit instead.