[En-Nut-Discussion] Build process proposal: Do not build HTML docs and wx based helpers as default

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:37:51 CEST 2015

Hi Harald,

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 5:32 AM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:

> > I assume the motivation behind disabling nutdisc by default is again to
> > remove the need for the user to have wxWidgets on their system.  I don't
> use
> > nutdisc myself so again a change wouldn't affect me directly.  I guess
> this
> > one depends on how many people make use of nutdisc routinely.
>
> I moved from wxWidgets to Qt for our company projects and use Nut/OS
> Discoverer and the GUI Configurator a lot.

:-)

> My experience with the Configurator is, that the wxWiget version
> sometimes crashes when changing the conf file. The Qt version on the
> other hand seems to have bugs in the functional part. My workaround is
> to use the wxWidgets version and restart it after a crash.

I use the Qt configurator exclusively, but usually it's just to reconfigure
Nut/OS and rebuild. After a few changes either in my system or the
configurator, couldn't track it down, the configurator is unable to locate
make.exe in Windows and fails to build, but it generates the Makefiles that
I then use manually from the command line.

A while ago I tried to fix all issues in the bug tracker with the
configurator. While I'm working on other stuff, I will try to fix issues.

> The latest Qt version of the Discoverer doesn't work since Windows 7 on
> PCs with more than one network interface, while in the wxWidgets version
> I can configure a directed broadcast address to make this work.

The discoverer is based on one that an intern did for our company (branded
with logo) that I then fixed some issues and adapted/relicensed to publish.
No one has ever complained about that, wasn't aware of the issue, I will
fix this ASAP. By the way, I wanted to rewrite that to change it's
interface to QML and release it in the Apple App Store. I'm just not very
good with interface drawing.

> IMHO, the development of the wxWidgets GUIs will not continue, but the
> current Qt versions are almost useless.
>

> > In all these cases, if they are to be omitted from the default compile it
> > would be worthwhile adding a note about this to a README or INSTALL file
> (or
> > similar) within the distribution.  This way potential users are made
> aware
> > of the existence of these things if they wish to make use of them.
> > Otherwise the only other way to discover them is to use "./configure
> --help"
> > and read through the brief notes that provides.
>
> You and Uwe are referring to the Linux build from source tree only,
> right? In that case I fully agree with you.
>
> I'm not sure what to do in the Windows binary installation.

Could we change autotools for cmake? It would work on any platform (except
for iOS/Android unfortunally, hopefully not for long).
It's much easier do do find_package(Lua REQUIRED) then the autotools magic.

I can write the CMakeLists for our PC binaries. I am unable to help with
CPack, never used it.