[En-Nut-Discussion] TCP sockets stuck in closing state

Coleman Brumley cbrumley at polarsoft.biz
Mon May 11 21:55:52 CEST 2015

Harald,

As you point out, there is a lot of guessing and conjecture associated with
this thread.

The facts are as follows:
1) I'm using Nut/OS 4.8.7 on an AT91SAM7X256
2) I'm using the HTTPD example code modified as follows; I added a mutex
which gets locked after NutTcpAccept() returns 0 (this completely solved the
lingering "Failed to create stream" error; the call to NutTcpAccept is now
in a loop which will sleep for 1 second if NutTcpAccept returns -1; and I've
made absolutely certain that the socket gets closed properly after the HTTP
request is processed. I will put these changes together as I get time to do
so. I don't know where example goes in the grand scheme of things, but I
hope that my changes will get put into the example.
3) My web application, in fact, uses many short lived connections as it's
retrieving data via XML and web services.
4) Using the original /net/tcpsm.c code (yes, against IE in Window 7), after
several seconds, I end up with some number of sockets in the TCPS_CLOSING
state. The sockets in this stay there indefinitely, and after some hours,
all of the heap space is consumed by new sockets which also end up stuck in
TCPS_CLOSING.
5) I've modified NutTcpStateActiveOpenEvent in /net/tcpsm.c per the SVN
version and feedback from this list.
6) I've modified NutTcpFindSocket to return sockets in the TCPS_CLOSING
state if no exact matches are found.
7) I've modified the code in /net/tcpsm.c to increment the so_time_wait
counter if the socket is in the TCPS_CLOSING state, I've also modified the
code such that the counter does not get reset if the socket reenters the
TCPS_CLOSING state.
8) I've modified the NutTcpSm thread to close sockets that have been in the
TCPS_CLOSING state for more than 9 seconds. This may need increased to a
longer period, but I simply don't know what the right length is.
9) I've increased the TCP SM stack space to 1024.

All of these changes have corrected the issues I was seeing. The original
problem does not happen with UDP sockets at all, obviously.

This problem can be recreated using the example HTTPD code and the original
/net/tcpsm.c code. As you point out, this test case needs to be very simple.
HTTPD only without any other "candy".

I will put together that example as soon as time permits.

Thanks for the pointer, but I don't need or want commercial support for my
application. The whole point of posting to the list, and I apologize if that
was the wrong thing to do, is that I was hoping to get feedback from someone
who is intimately familiar with the TCP state machine code to chime in.

Coleman