[En-Nut-Discussion] Doubts about NutRegisterSpiDevice

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Sep 7 12:27:18 CEST 2015

Hello,

in the tradition of public soliloquy here another subject feedback would be
welcome:

For SPI devices, NutRegisterSpiDevice() stores the NUTSPINODE SPI bus
information in dev_icb. The Interface control block is used for general
interface information, and e.g. Ethernet drivers expectes IFNET as icb. So a
SPI-connected ethernet device can't use our present net infrastructure.

The device control blockdev_dcb thereas is normally used for storing driver
specific information and NUTSPINODE has an entry node_dcb for layering
devices specific information.

So I think NutRegisterSpiDevice() is the wrong approach and a better
functionality to register a device would should store NUTSPINODE as dev_dcb.

To keep backward compatibility I think about adding a NutSpiRegisterDevice()
function similar to NutRegisterSpiDevice(), but storing NUTSPINODE in
dev_dcb.

Do I miss something? Any objections?

Thanks
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de