[En-Nut-Discussion] Removal of 8-bit AVR support (Re: STM32L051 and LPUART)

Nathan Moore nategoose at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:19:03 CEST 2016

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 5:19 AM, Uwe Bonnes <
bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> Another thing is the protection of 2 and 4 byte variables with a Critical
> section. This is not needed with 32-bit systems. But a look at nut/dev/
> shows that only the old u(s)art driver use it. So it is legacy, but does
> not
> hamper us beside carrying old code around.

I started to write some Critical macros that would take a parameter to test
for size and alignment to determine if they should actually do anything, but
while doable in GCC that got complicated quickly.  Is that something that
people would find useful?   Is that something that people would trust and/or
use correctly?
Alternately, a family of Critical macros with size suffixes could be
written for
each architecture and not rely so much on the preprocessor and compiler
to get it right.

Nathan