[En-Nut-Discussion] STM32L051 and LPUART

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Oct 20 15:58:51 CEST 2016

    Ulrich> Hi!  before starting an implementation myself, I wonder if
    Ulrich> someone already prepared some code to add the STM32L051 series
    Ulrich> of chips and especially the LPUART device that can be found on
    Ulrich> all STM32L devices.

No, I have not yet worked with the LPUART. Beside custom board for the
STM32F3, I have only disco and nucleo boards. To my knowledge, these boards
don't bring out the LPUART. So developping for the LPUART is not as handy as
for devices used on these boards.

If I remember right, at some point you turned away from Nut/OS partly
because most drivers at that time used multiple driver instances for
multiple device entities inside one MCU.

Harald tried a new approach with the usart_cb driver. However this approach
queries queue fill level in the device independant code. To not interfere
with the IRQ routines, the device independant code can only disable/enable
IRQs global and does not work at all with DMA.

However I have some approach for a uart driver that does the query in the
device dependant code, using a common driver for all entities. I intend to
add this code to SVN Head at some point.

Find the code appended.

LPUART and UART register map look quite similar. So getting LPUART basic
functionality should not be too hard. If you need more special functionalty,
i would be glad if you consider to implement it in a way that it also will
work with my new approach.

Cheers
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------