[En-Nut-Discussion] Status of TIVA headers

Philipp Burch phip at hb9etc.ch
Tue Feb 6 12:03:51 CET 2018

On 06.02.2018 11:23, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> Hello Phillip,
>
> I think tiva got a seperate branch, as the headers once had an incredible
> restrictive license? Didn't that change in the meantime? Then perhaps is it
> time to merge with master!
>
> Cheers

Hi Uwe,

I haven't checked the headers in the meantime, but as far as I see, not
much has changed. In the forums, one of the TI employees once stated
that they don't provide the headers alone to make it as simple as
possible for the user.

Well, to get the software, you need to:

- Click any of the "Get Software" buttons on
http://www.ti.com/tool/sw-tm4c (no matter which one, despite they are on
different rows in the table).

- Select one of the Windows Installers (!) from
http://software-dl.ti.com/tiva-c/SW-TM4C/latest/index_FDS.html according
to the components you want.

- Login or register on the TI site.

- Agree to this absolutely ridiculous ruleset:

-------- 8< ---------- 8< -------------

I certify that the following is true:

(a) I understand that this Software/Tool/Document is subject to export
controls under the U.S. Commerce Department’s Export Administration
Regulations ("EAR").

(b) I am NOT located in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria. I
understand these are prohibited destination countries under the EAR or
U.S. sanctions regulations.

(c) I am NOT listed on the Commerce Department’s Denied Persons List,
the Commerce Department's Entity List, the Commerce Department’s General
Order No. 3 (in Supp. 1 t o EAR Part 736), or the Treasury Department’s
Lists of Specially Designated Nationals.

(d) I WILL NOT EXPORT, re-EXPORT or TRANSFER this Software/Tool/Document
to any prohibited destination, entity, or individual without the
necessary export license(s) or authorization(s) from the U.S. Government.

(e) I will NOT USE or TRANSFER this Software/Tool/Document for use in
any sensitive NUCLEAR, CHEMICAL or BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS, or MISSILE
TECHNOLOGY end-uses unless authorized by the U.S. Government by
regulation or specific license.

(f) I understand that countries other than the United States may
restrict the import, use, or export of the Subject Product. I agree that
we shall be solely responsible for compliance with any such import, use,
or export restrictions.

    I / We hereby certify that we will adhere to the conditions above.
    I / We do not know of any additional facts different from the above.
    I / We take responsibility to comply with these terms.
    I / We understand we are responsible to abide by the most current.
versions of the Export Administration Regulations and other U.S. export
and sanctions laws.

-------- 8< ---------- 8< -------------

Subsequent steps that I haven't done, as it would not help:

- Download the installer.

- Unpack the Windows Executable (if possible), or install it on a
Windows system.

- Find the headers.

Yes, that's about what I call a "simple workflow".

Anyway, considering this agreement, they obviously don't want to have
their software spread with anything that's publicly available.

A few weeks back, we had a sales rep of EBV in our company and he
mentioned that TI is not actively continuing development of the TM4C
microcontrollers. So I could imagine that they will cancel that series
sometimes as they did with the LM3S...

Regards,
Philipp