[En-Nut-Discussion] UART Flow Control

Dušan dferbas at solarmonitor.cz
Thu Mar 5 19:54:57 CET 2020

Hi guys,

we are working on a Nut/OS port for NXP Kinetis MK64F (LQFP100 - 144,
ethernet).
Actual state can be seen here: https://github.com/dferbas/ethernut

Once tested, I plan to merge it with Nut.
It does not use the NutUseCritical() macros.

------------------------
We have an issue with USART driver.
We use the UART_SETFLOWCONTROL to set half duplex or full duplex and
also loopback modes.
All this is done with RE, DE signals to 2 RS485 transceivers, nicely
hidden from an application through the ioctl.

The [r4163] <https://sourceforge.net/p/ethernut/code/4163/> added
XONXOFF only, which was later removed at

[r4584] <https://sourceforge.net/p/ethernut/code/4584/> with following
remark:
Do not fix flow control to XON/XOFF handshake.
See
http://lists.egnite.de/pipermail/en-nut-discussion/2012-August/013821.html

---
As the dcb->dcb_modeflags should be hidden from an application,
what was the intention to leave it as it is now?

What about to simply stay with the old version (#2555 - #4116):
     case UART_SETFLOWCONTROL:
         rc = (*dcb->dcb_set_flow_control) (lv);
         break;

This allows everything to be passed from an application.

--

*Dušan*