[En-Nut-Discussion] UsartRead and timeout

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Tue Apr 25 09:04:36 CEST 2023

Hi Uwe,

yes I would expect this behavior to be correct.

The UsartRead() routine will normally be called by read() from the
c-library.

read() is defined to return the currently available number of bytes,
which may be lower than the requested amount.

See e.g. https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/read.2.html

When writing a parser, that reads data from a device, I would normally
use a loop, that calls read() until the expected amount of data is
received. If you do not know the number of bytes that shall be received,
just implement an timeout, until which the first character shall be
received and then an interbyte timeout, until which the next character)
shall be received.

I would use the select() routine to implement these timeouts.

Best regards,

Ole Reinhardt