[En-Nut-Discussion] SRAM speed

ethernut at dotaussie.com.au ethernut at dotaussie.com.au
Thu Sep 12 07:08:45 CEST 2002

Hi Harald,

Thanks for the detailed history. I certainly now appreciate how the board
made it to it's current design.

How far advanced are your plans for using a CPLD? And are they available at
this stage? We are thinking of adding banked SRAM to the ethernut, probably
using a CPLD in the design too.

eg. Eliminate the '573 and also move any address decoding into the CPLD. The
bank switching would be managed by 'latching' whatever was written to a
specific memory mapped address (or address range) to be used by the CPLD for
address decoding. The CPLD would also be used for any other miscellaneous
logic that needed to be done.

Possible chips that we had thought of were Altera 3032/3064 etc. since they
are 5V tolerant (so the ATmega can run full speed) and also be used as the
interface to 3.3V logic.

If you are advanced along this path, maybe we could use your design now. Or
if you have not really looked at this yet in detail, perhaps we could put
some ideas together, and we could do the development work. We would like to
retain compatibility with your O/S and future versions.

Regards,

Alastair