[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Ethernut Bus System

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Apr 3 14:06:30 CEST 2003

Hi all,

As you may know, Ethernut 2 will be plug-in compatible to
Ethernut 1.

For long term planning I'm considering some kind of bus
system for easy add-on board design. I already discussed
this in some private emails, but would like to get more
people involved.

One thing I'd like to discuss are the mechanical connectors.

Solution 1: Using 96 pin DIN 41612 connectors. Disadvantage
is, that they are very large. Advantage is, that housings are
easily available and, because this is a backplane system,
it's very flexible.

Solution 2: Using PC104 connectors. Disadvantage is, that
stacking up boards is limited and component height matters.
Advantage is, that they are 2mm pitch and much smaller than
1" pitch connectors.

Solution 3: Using SIMM connectors. They are looking very
unreliable to me, number of pins and board size is limited.

Solution 4: Using one of those very tiny (down to 1mm pitch)
connectors offered by some manufacturers without second source
and build a backplane system.

What do you think?