[En-Nut-Discussion] CVS access

Dave Smart Dave at Smart-Family.net
Tue Dec 16 14:05:22 CET 2003

Hi Oliver,

I took your advice to run TortoiseCVS, but am not yet problem free. I'll
capture what I'm doing, and I hope you'll see what I'm not [doing].

I installed TortoiseCVS successfully as far as I can tell.
I right-click on my new empty folder and select "CVS Checkout..."
The TortoiseCVS - Checkout Module dialog appears. On the Module tab, in the
CVSROOT: field, I pasted the string you suggested -
  "-d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ethernut"

It seems to have thrown away the -d (maybe that is a command line version?)
and parsed the remainder into the fields -
  Protocol "Password server (:pserver:)"
  Server "cvs.sourceforge.net"
  Port "" <-- blank
  Repository folder "/cvsroot/ethernut"
  Username "anonymous"
  Module "" <-- blank

At this stage, the [OK] button is disabled, so I press [Fetch list...]
instead of [Cancel].
A dialog appears showing its attempts to connect, but it disappears much to
fast to read it. I see a splash of red text just before its gone.

I went to the TortoiseCVS help, and it has a section for use with SF.net, so
I followed those instructions. They seem to be configured for users with
authorization to a project, but this time I was able to capture the log -
================
  In C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\: cvs -q -z9 -Q co -c
  CVSROOT=:ext:anonymous at cvs.ethernut.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ethernut
  cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
any)
  Error, CVS operation failed
  In C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\: cvs -q -z9 -Q ls -q
  CVSROOT=:ext:anonymous at cvs.ethernut.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ethernut
  cvs [ls aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
  Error, CVS operation failed
  Scanning for web log URL on server
  Trying
http://cvs.ethernut.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ethernut/...

If I click the web link, it does indeed take me to the web interface for the
project.

Your help would be appreciated.
Dave