[En-Nut-Discussion] CVS Commits

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Dec 18 21:35:34 CET 2003

>On these 2 points an interesting idea springs to mind.  How about the RT
>Linux approach to the problem of realtime performance on Nut OS. How about
>running avrx under NutOS.  Seems like it solves the problem quite nicely.
>AvrX is only 500-700 bytes.  One thread runs the mp3 player feeding, one
>runs NutOS.  Seems like it could be solve almost any realtime requirement
>while still retaining all the nice things.

That's one of my interests in AvrX too.

Andrew E. Kalman from Pumpkin Inc. also asked
some time ago about supporting Salvo. Yeah,
I know it's commercial, but very well documented
and they seem to put a lot of effort in it.

While I implemented your reduced context switching,
I recognized, that it's not just the hardware, that
may be replaced, but also some essential kernel
routines. As you wrote in a previous post, one
could not have an all purpose RTOS. Configuration
flexibility is the key and replacing the inner
kernel routines is one way.

But, as discussed previously, there's no chance to
switch from cooperative to preemptive multithreading.
That would require a complete redesign of all
shared resources.