[En-Nut-Discussion] Re: Full Duplex on RTL8019AS? (Harald Kipp)

Stephen Noftall stephenn at lcsaudio.com
Mon Jun 9 20:54:32 CEST 2003

> > >Does this mean Ethernuts use Full Duplex by default?
> >
> > It's designed to do so. Can't remeber that I checked it during
> > the last 2 years. I do not have a switch here right now, which
> > got a full duplex LED.
>
>  My switch says half-duplex...

I have tested it here with 3 switches and a Hub. The switches are all
auto-negotiating duplex, and they allways negotiate to Half-Duplex. But it
works Ok, with the occasional collision led blink.

I have also tested with a managed switch (HP ProCurve), where I can set the
port to allways be full-duplex. When hooked to the Ethernut, the port works
fine, without collisions.

My guess is that auto-negotiating doesn't work with some switches (most?),
but if you can use a managed switch, and hard set the port to full -duplex,
then it will use full duplex.

I don't know how much of a difference it is. I have yet to do some speed
tests between full and half duplex.

Stephen Noftall