[En-Nut-Discussion] Problem with Ethernut Startup

en-nut-discussion-admin at egnite.de en-nut-discussion-admin at egnite.de
Tue Jun 24 01:03:22 CEST 2003

Hi Thorsten;

This comes up a few times with the Atmel GCC compiler. When declaring large
(>2K) static arrays, the Atmega's internal stack is overwritten on startup.

What is happening is that GCC has a small program that gets executed at
startup. It copies over the static array variables from FLASH into SRAM. It
also sets the stack pointer to the top of internal SRAM, not external
memory. So effectively the stack pointer is 4K from the beggining of memory.
So on boot, the stack is corrupted -> crash.

The short answer is to never use large static structures. Allways use
malloc. Check the MAP file to make sure that the statics are only taking up
a <3K of SRAM.

Someday I'll figure out a way for it to put the stack at the top of external
memory. That is, as long as it has external memory ;-)

Stpehen Noftall